Costa Rica

Costa Rica

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Unconditional Love

My time in Costa Rica has been life changing. The trip has been full of unexpected emotions. We went from weeping at the door of families living in the slums of La Cuenca to living it up in our own cabanas at a resort in the rainforest all in one day.

Walking through the village of La Cuenca yesterday, we saw some crazy situations. We delivered food and toiletries to the families who were in the most need of it. My group delivered food to a lady named Jenny who had 5 children and lived in a dirt floor shack no bigger than my bathroom at home. As we sung Psalm 23 to them in Spanish, and they sang along, I have never seen such happy hearts. The children stared and smiled as if they had never received such love. Jenny told us she wasn't expecting anything like this, and that we were a gift from God. Before we left their "house", the children hugged us so tight not wanting to let go, and neither did I. The feeling of hugging this family who literally did not know when they were going to eat next brought tears to my eyes. Through all the sweat and tears, it hit me how blessed I truly am. I thought to myself "Why do I deserve everything that I have when they have absolutely nothing?"


Today, on the other end of the spectrum, we are basically in paradise. I woke up this morning, took my first hot shower of the trip, went to a breakfast buffet, zip lined through the beautiful rainforest, then relaxed by the pool and hot springs for the rest of the afternoon with the view of a volcano in the background. While sitting at the resort reflecting on what I've experienced this week, I've realized how much closer I have become to God in such a short period of time. I have learned the true meaning of unconditional love. Although the children in La Cuenca may not feel loved, and most of them do not have fathers, they are loved beyond measure by their Father in Heaven.


So as my time in Costa Rica comes to an end, I will never forget the impact this country has had on me. Not only was it a mission to change the people here, but it also changed me.


Abbey Long


No comments:

Post a Comment